Welcome to this Special Release Episode of the Self Made Strategies Podcast
Please read the special message, from Tony Lopes, inspired by Aaron Beverly.
The COVID-19 Pandemic has caused significant stress, but maybe it also presents an opportunity for those of us fortunate enough to have our health. In our entire human history, there has never been a better opportunity to develop your personal brand and further develop your online presence through storytelling. Most people are stuck inside, at home, ransacking the internet for entertaining, educational, and positive content. So who would be better to teach you, to “Speak and Be You,” than the 2019 Toastmasters World Champion of Public Speaking, Aaron Beverly.
You may remember Aaron, who was our guest in the good ol’ days, ya know…August of 2019. He sat down with us again (remotely of course) to give us all of his strategies for public speaking success.
Aaron delivered an incredible and entertaining speech, “An Unbelievable Story,” which you will hear on this episode. You can also watch this episode on our brand NEW YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOG-mybCfvYWhoXo4vPoB5g), or on Aaron’s own YouTube Channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHVNLGTZBrLiyVcLYqYyETQ). Don’t forget to hit SUBSCRIBE when you visit both!
Aaron was 30 years old when he took the stage to make his second attempt (he finished 2nd in 2016) at the Toastmasters World Championship. Aaron, a JP Morgan project manager by day, kept the promise he made on Episode 025 of the Self Made Strategies Podcast when he took home the Toastmasters World Championship of Public Speaking in August of 2019.
In his winning speech Aaron highlights the importance of “acceptance despite difference,” a timely lesson in our post-COVID-19-quarantine world. Only father time will tell where we will be by Summer of 2020, but hopefully Aaron’s message will spread faster than the virus causing the hysteria and people will focus on “acceptance despite difference.”
Let’s remember that at the end of the day, we are all humans, with loved ones of our own. Let’s treat each other with dignity, respect, and compassion.
About Aaron Beverly
Aaron is developing a brand new YouTube channel to continue teaching others the benefits of becoming a strong public speaker. In August 2016, before becoming the World Champion of Public Speaking, Aaron Beverly became the 1st runner up in the prestigious Toastmasters International World Championship of Public Speaking competing against over 30,000 competitors across the globe.
Aaron has spoken in locations around the world and has engaged audiences in companies such as Vanguard, J.P. Morgan Chase, and Wells Fargo; associations such as the National Association of Asian American Professionals as well as educational institutions such as Drexel University, Temple University and University of Pennsylvania.
Here are the key takeaways from this Episode:
- Hear Aaron’s 2019 Toastmasters World Championship Speech
- Aaron’s advice about preparing a championship speech
- Best practices for developing your speeches
- How to overcome your public speaking fears
- Why practice and repetitions are the key to combating
- How “resistance,” as discussed in the book “War of Art,” is holding you back as an entrepreneur
- Why you need to get past any fears you have about watching yourself speak (either on camera or otherwise)
- The process to use to test out your ideas
- Why you need to write out your speech, on paper, then record yourself giving the speech to get a better feel for your delivery
- How to prepare humorous material for your presentations (a/k/a the process of be funny)
- How to maintain your composure while you are presenting, if the audience doesn’t laugh at any comedic material you prepare
- Where to find your inspiration to develop your storytelling and content
- How to test out your material and speech, on others, before you take the stage
- How to develop your content with family and friends, in a conversational way, to work out your material
- How to turn a “bomb” into an opportunity for humor
- Why you need to “Know Your Audience” and Aaron’s “Detox” method for getting your audience to “Do/Take Away/Know”
- How to establish a connection with your audience
- Aaron’s best practices for storytelling
This Self Made Strategies Podcast is a SoftStix Productions LLC jawn, made in collaboration with Aaron Beverly, of Speak and Be You. This episode was produced, edited, and hosted by Tony Lopes, REMOTELY (because we are in COVID-19 isolation) in Philadelphia. The Self Made Strategies Podcast is sponsored by Lopes Law LLC (www.LopesLawLLC.com).