Episode 068 of the Self Made Strategies Podcast, with “Dino” Don Lessem, CEO of Dino Don, Inc.
Dino Don Lessem is a dinosaur explorer, Genghis Khan expert, and CEO and Founder of Dino Don, Inc. He was also a Jurassic Park and Disney movie, and theme park consultant. Don has also re-created many of the world’s largest dinosaurs. Additionally, Don is a designer of blockbuster international exhibitions and theme park attractions. He has also been a TV show host and a commentator for the Today Show, Good Morning America, and CBS Morning News. Don is also an author of more than 50 books for children and adults. No wonder, “Dino” Don was recently featured in an Inc.com article entitled “How a Former Journalist Turned His Love of Dinosaurs Into a $5 Million Robotics Business.” Yes, you read that correctly.
Dino is a dynamic speaker and was an extremely entertaining guest on our podcast. It was a huge pleasure to “sit down” (we recorded this remotely because of COVID-19) with Dino to hear his stories about his adventurous career filled with dinosaurs, and entrepreneurial dynamism and perseverance.
Here is what we talked about on this episode:
- How to control your idea
- Why you need to keep doing the same thing over and over
- Dino’s ratio for a successful but also enjoyable entrepreneurial venture (1/3 making money; 1/3 having projects or ideas in development; and, 1/3 “big dream” ideas)
- Why you need to know what you are passionate about
- That you need to “know” it is going to work
- Don’t take rejection personally
- How to find what will keep you persisting
- Why you should be putting together a team of people who are the best experts you can find (passion comes with that)
- The problems most entrepreneurs face as their business grows and how to fix that
- Why you should also consider hiring the youngest/most inexperienced people
- How to build fearlessness in others
- Why you need to find your opposites (hint: they will help fill your gaps, and cover your strengths)
- Why you should start at the top and work your way down (not the other way around)
- Dino’s thoughts on “luck” (1/2 of it is getting a lucky break, the other 1/2 is knowing what to do with it)
- How to sense an opportunity, and then execute on that opportunity
This Self Made Strategies Podcast is a SoftStix Productions LLC jawn. This episode was produced, edited, and hosted by Tony Lopes, REMOTELY (because we are undergoing COVID-19 isolation) in Philadelphia. The Self Made Strategies Podcast is sponsored by Lopes Law LLC (www.LopesLawLLC.com).