Tim McDermott joined the Philadelphia Union as Chief Business Officer on Jan. 27, 2016. He oversees all of the club’s business operations, including its USL team, Bethlehem Steel FC, which played its inaugural game in 2016, as well as the Philadelphia Union Academy.
Since joining the Union, McDermott’s efforts have been focused on increasing the brand strength, fan base, and revenue opportunities. Under his oversight, the Union achieved their highest ever single-season partnership revenue in 2017 and achieved consecutive seasons of ticket revenue growth for the first time in franchise history. The club also won the 2017 J.D. Power Award for Best Fan Experience in Philadelphia and was named the 2017 MLS Digital Team of the Year as well as the 2018 eMLS Team of the Year.
This past season, the Union celebrated it’s tenth season by making a very exciting run at the playoffs. The Union finished the year with an exciting and nail-biting win (4 – 3 over the NY Red Bulls), but ultimately lost 2 – 0 in Atlanta.
Tim leads the business operations of the Philadelphia Union, Bethlehem Steel FC (USL), and the Union Academy. Tim is also a self-proclaimed growth acceleration leader and idea guy…who loves his family more than anything.
On today’s episode we will:
• Get to know Tim and hear more about the Philadelphia Union
• Discuss how Tim is innovating the Philadelphia Union and helping move the Union in a new
• Then we will dive into the organizational strategies Tim uses to get buy-in from industry
• The development strategies Tim is implementing to help grow and innovate the Philadelphia
• The pitfalls and hurdles Tim has encountered, while trying to grow the Union’s brand
• The marketing mix Tim uses for the Philadelphia Union and the key factors you should take
into consideration for your own organization’s marketing mix
• The best marketing mix for most organizations
• How Tim is leveraging organic content marketing solutions to grow the Union’s brand, and
how you can too
• What to do when you are pushing the levels of innovation and risk beyond the status quo, and
stakeholders are not buying in or giving you pushback on your ideas
• Why the Union is branching out into new and innovative areas, such as esports and
• How to ensure that you are maintaining the highest level of leadership and vision to the Union
• The top 3 best practices, and worst 3 pitfalls, you should avoid while trying to innovate
• You’ll also hear about how the Union is working hard to improve the local community
• And so much more!
After you’ve listened to the episode, make sure you visit the Philadelphia Union’s website (https://www.philadelphiaunion.com) to get more information about new things happening at the Union, or check out their upcoming events.
Make sure you subscribe to the Self Made Strategies Podcast on your favorite podcasting platform. You can find us on: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, iHeartRadio, and Spreaker.
You can also connect with us on:
• https://www.facebook.com/selfmadestrategies/ •
• https://twitter.com/SelfMadeStratGs •
• https://www.instagram.com/selfmadestrategies/ •
• https://www.linkedin.com/company/self-made-strategies/ •